Saturday, January 20, 2007

First-time Blog from First-time Novelist

Most of what you see in this first installment is my excess from the About Me section. I knew that limit of 1,200 characters was going to be tough.

Writing my first, and so far only, novel took about two years. Most of it was written on my lunch hours in a cozy loft up a spiral flight of iron stairs in the City Market Coffeehouse in Kansas City. It is a story about a serial killer and the cop and journalist who are pursuing him. As time went by, some of the patrons of the java joint got to know me and what I was doing. When they would ask in passing how the murder business was going, it was always interesting to watch the unknowing quickly finish their bean beverage and depart.

I thought the hard work was done when I put the finishing touches on the story. That was before I began researching the publishing industry and how I was to find literary representation.

The impetus behind this blog is my desire to comment on the experience of writing a novel and the ongoing process of connecting with an agent to make the journey to publication with me. Oh, yeah. It will also, praise Jesus, give me a chance to write something other than query letters. Being multidimensional, I might stray into commentary on issues or even nonsense of the day.

Comments are encouraged. Advice is welcomed.

No comments: