Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Applied Science of Turns of Phrase

A writer I am, and it has nothing to do with “green eggs and ham.” As such, I am an avid fan of those who have mastered the art of turning a phrase. In this regard, I confess that I indulge in the sincerest form of flattery. My emulation has on occasion resulted in my phrases being called twisted rather than turned. I admit that I do it on purpose to make my readers think about what I have written.

A famous New York editor recently told me that some of my twisting is okay, and some should go away. That and other of her suggestions are why I am in process of rewriting parts of my novel about a twisted serial killer and his pursuers. Apparently, there are many out there who can be emulated. "Simplify, simplify."

We are all familiar with masters like Ben Franklin, Mark Twain, and Will Rogers. In Poor Richard’s Almanac, Franklin said, “Fish and visitors stink after three days.” When I stay with her in Baton Rouge, my mom would tell you that his aphorism holds true.

One group of guys who have been known to turn a good phrase is Jeff Foxworthy, Larry the Cable Guy, Bill Engvall and Ron White of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour. Foxworthy has even mastered bleeding a phrase like a turnip with that redneck thing.

Yogi Berra is another fellow who I think fits the mold of blue collar wordsmith. He would probably fit right in on the tour. It is indisputable that he can grind the language with the best of them: Dubya, Joe Biden, Dan Quayle. Both as a catcher and a manager, he certainly proved he knew “strategery.”

Suzie and I were riding our bikes one day when I pulled to a stop on a cul-de-sac and bent over to pick something up. She turned and asked why I had halted. I held up the cheap stainless fork I had plucked from the pavement and then stored it away in my bike pouch. When she asked why I wanted it, I matter-of-factly reminded her that the venerable philosopher, Lawrence Peter Berra, said, “When you come to a fork in the road, take it.” I liken this “Yogiism” to this excerpt from Frost:

“I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.”

The eating utensil is now one of the treasures stored in a shadowbox hanging on the wall of my study, a manifest version of “memories pressed between the pages of my mind.” One of the items contained there is the napkin on which I wrote Suzie’s address and phone number on Halloween night in 1992 so I could ask her out for the very first time.

Now I take you back to the beginning and the “green eggs and ham.” Theodor Seuss Geisel didn’t turn his phrases or even twist them, I have found. It seems to me he curved them to meet each other in “identicality” of sound.

No comments: