Monday, July 27, 2009

A Friendship Treasured

I’m getting old. Yes, I know I look very youthful in photographs, but truly, accumulated chronology is barking at my heels. As fast as my number of years is gaining on me, the light at the end of the tunnel, retirement, isn’t visually enlarging on the approaching horizon fast enough. I’m hoping the economy will bounce enough by the time I am 62 or 63 to put me among those images instead of still seeing them in the distance.

I won’t miss the work. I’ll write and ride my bike and play golf and read and eat lunch over a Scrabble board with Suzie and do all sorts of things for which there never seems to be enough time right now. What I will miss is the daily interaction with the people who prevent workdays from being drudgery. There have been a number of those at each place I have been employed. Among them, if you are lucky, there are a few rare ones who are undeniably special.

Sometimes, from one job to the next, you regrettably lose touch. I have. The Web and e-mail and Facebook and the like have enabled me to rebuild bridges in some cases. Thank goodness those utilities are there to prevent relationship gaps now and in the future. I mention this today because a dear friend is leaving my place of employment in the next few days. If yours is on the list of e-mail addresses to which I pass interesting, inspiring, or humorous forwards, you know her as one of my most prolific sources and probably have at least a feel for her specialness.

She was the first person other than Suzie to read my novel-in-waiting. We have exchanged our likes in reading matter. She introduced Suzie and me to Dean Koontz. She now has two copies of his best book, Watchers, because I inadvertently let her original get wet. The result was wavy pages that could cause seasickness in too lengthy sessions of reading. I knew I had to get her a new copy, as it was obvious from the wear on the original that it was my friend’s literary Velveteen Rabbit, a truly loved volume. I have always been impressed that she and her daughter, Alyssa, would be in the late night hordes to get their new copy of each Harry Potter book. They took turns reading them to each other aloud. Those are treasured mom and daughter experiences for sure.

Anyway, Christine Harris will be missed here in the halls of the venerable old bank I visit each day. I wish her enjoyment of the lighter workdays and much shorter commutes she’ll experience in her upcoming endeavor, as well as in every other aspect of life. Suzie and I promise to make sure that Christine and her ever-dashing hubby, Darren, pop up on our social calendar with regularity.

Take a look at the links here at Red Stick Writer, click on the one for Christine’s photography, and view the world through the eyes of one who sees its good side.

No comments: