Saturday, April 16, 2011

Why am I here?

When I first started blogging as Red Stick Writer, my purpose was to commit to writing and share my thoughts, experiences, and questions about my journey as a first-time novelist. It was my hope to have other authors or readers or agents read my posts and make contributions of enlightenment, encouragement, or commiseration. In order that they might find my site, I became a commenter at other writing and publishing blog sites.

Through SiteMeter, I know I get a goodly amount of traffic, but the back and forth enabled by contributed commentary never developed on my page. For that interaction, I have had to rely on my reading and commenting at the pages of others.

I hit the mother lode in that regard the day I discovered Nathan Bransford’s blog page. At the time, he was a literary agent in the San Francisco office of the New York agency, Curtis Brown Ltd. Interestingly enough, shortly after I found him, Nathan became the first-ever commenter on my page. He told me to e-mail a query to him regarding my then agent-hungry novel, By the Light: A Novel of Serial Homicide. Unfortunately, I had to respond that I had already queried him and that he had declined representation.

Despite not securing Nathan’s representation, reading his blog and the comments others leave there has become a part of my routine. Though he is no longer an agent, I and many others thank God his blog page lives on. He says he is now "a publishing civilian working in the tech industry.” Nothing could be more distant from the truth. On May 12, his debut novel, a middle-grade story called Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow hits bookshelves virtual and otherwise, and his blog page is still one of the premier go-to places to keep your thumb on the pulse of books... reading them, writing them, and selling them.

By the time I discovered that my blog page would not become a forum for writer discussion, I had also learned that I enjoyed occasionally writing my thoughts about life or family or humor or politics or writing or whatever else pops into my head or the intersection of any of these. So I have kept it going. Now instead of chronicling my pursuit of an agent, I spill the beans about my experience as an indie author with an e-book in the Kindle Store at Amazon.

Just as I once commented at sites to get noticed by others who might have an interest in representing me, I continue to comment to get found by people who might have an interest in buying and reading and possibly reviewing my book. My interaction with readers and other authors in those settings is both enriching and enjoyable.

Writing sites and communities I have been known to haunt:

http://blog.nathanbransford.com/

http://www.selfpublishingreview.com/

http://www.smithmag.net/sixwords/

http://www.goodreads.com/

http://www.reddit.com/r/selfpublish/

http://tinyurl.com/amazon-reviews-by-dick

I enjoy these and a number of other nooks and crannies on the Web. Maybe I’ll bump into you at one of them.

You are always welcomed and E N C O U R A G E D to make your thoughts known here by leaving comments. One of the things I plan to do here in the near future is mention or discuss or review books I have read, books I am reading, books that I’m considering reading, and maybe even coffee table books that can become coffee tables. Regarding the ones under consideration, I’m hoping some of you will stick a toe in, test the water, join the discussion, and help me make informed decisions about the direction of my reading. I continue to keep alive the hope that this can become a place for discussion.

No comments: